How secure is UNIX? (Re: Stupid man pages)

Thomas Omerzu omerzu at quando.UUCP
Sat Jun 9 23:23:09 AEST 1990

In article <720016 at hpclapd.HP.COM> defaria at hpclapd.HP.COM (Andy DeFaria) writes:
[...]
>>2. Grab the encrypted password for root out of the (publicly readable)
>>   /etc/passwd.
[...]
>I  thought I explained  this.  IMHO  /etc/passwd should  NOT   be  publicly
>readable.   If this were  true then you   couldn't ftp as  root because you
[...]

I cannot find out where you explained this,
but have you ever tried to remove public read permissions
from /etc/passwd?
Very funny results, not the simplest 'ls -l' will work ...

And now MAY WE STOP this discussion PLEASE?
To me it seems as if everything worthy of discussion has been said
at least twice, and every new aspect is more unqualified than the
one before ...

	Thomas Omerzu, omerzu at quando.quantum.de