How secure is UNIX?

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Fri Jun 8 02:12:15 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun5.152004.15873 at agate.berkeley.edu> dankg at volcano.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) writes:

>>Dan, my man you seem to have jumped to the conclusion that UNIX isn't
>>secure because someone broke into your account and blew away your files.

>	Unix is at very least insecure enough to make me sleep in nightmare.
>I got several mails and some of them are raped even harder.

The usual protection against losing files either due to accidents or
malicious removal is to keep backups.  Doesn't your site maintain
some reasonably current tape copies of everything?  I also try to keep
copies of files that are personally valuable on PC floppies which at the
moment are the ultimate in portable media.  All you really need is access
to a PC, modem, and dial-up port to tranfer to/from just about anything.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us