why doesn't history work in a shell script?

Patrick Hertel afsipmh at cid.aes.doe.CA
Wed Jun 6 23:19:27 AEST 1990

 We are slowly converting to UNIX here so forgive me if my question seems
dumb. Is it possible to get history to work inside a shell script - i.e.
get a history of the steps in the script which could then be appended to a file for later perusal? I tried :

          #! /bin/csh
          ls
          who
          date
          history

 The history command was mute. I even tried redirecting it to /dev/tty and
got diddly. Is it doing anything? If it is what, and where is it going?

--
Pat Hertel                 Canadian Meteorological Centre
Analyst/Programmer         Environment Canada