porting C programs from UNIX to VMS

David Kassover kassover at jupiter.crd.ge.com
Sat Jun 2 01:11:27 AEST 1990

In article <46365 at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> mdchaney at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (M Darrin Chaney) writes:
>In article <9528 at tank.uchicago.edu> phd_ivo at gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>>Hint No. 1: the debugger---although generally quite nice---can't restart
>>a program :-(
>
>Hmm, I can't figure out what you're trying to say with this.  If you mean
>VMS doesn't dump a core, you need to use the command "Set Process/Dump".
>In order to debug that dump file, you need to use "Analyze/Proc/Full file".
>Of course, to get any real debugging pleasure, you have to compile and
>link for debugging, but it works just fine otherwise.

Some debuggers I have seen, and I am not experienced with them,
and no they weren't for VMS, or Unix, either, have the ability to
restart the program from the beginning.

I'm sure there's a reason the VMS Debugger does not have this
feature (a minor inconvenience), good bad indifferent or ugly.

If anyone reading this *knows* the reason, I'm sure we'd all like
to hear about it.

As long as we are pounding on the debugger, does anyone know,
perhaps, if in a future version the user will be able to control
the symbol table load algorithm?  On my "favorite" image to
debug, it takes about 10-20 minutes from my entering run/debug
until I see the DBG> prompt.  DEC's current answer, via my sysop,
is "Add more memory/raise the working set".  I'm surprised they
didn't suggest a 9000  8-)

--
David Kassover             "Proper technique helps protect you against
kassover at ra.crd.ge.com	    sharp weapons and dull judges."