Question on printf()

Jeff Beadles;685-2568;;;quark jeff at quark.WV.TEK.COM
Sat Jun 9 00:52:16 AEST 1990

In article <24674.266e3b81 at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> jian at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
|Hi folks, I have one simple question about printf() on Utrix. Following is the
|program that I question about:

|display()
|{
|   printf("\n\n\nEnter Command -> ");

Insert the line:
	fflush(stdout);

|   alarm(60);
|}
|
|I don't know why the printf() only prints three linefeeds and the "Enter
|Command -> " only shows up on every next call to display. It seems to me
|that if I don't do any I/O and linefeed after printf(), the printf() does
|not print the string argument on the standard output. Why? How can I avoid
|this problem? I very much appreciate any helps.
|
|Jian Li
|jian at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Things will work much better with the fflush.  The problem is that stdio is
buffered by default, and is waiting for a \n to flush the output buffer.

	-Jeff

--
Jeff Beadles				jeff at quark.WV.TEK.COM
Utek Engineering, Tektronix Inc.	+1 503 685 2568