Pathname in prompt, not FAQ, really.

Scott A.C. McIntyre avalon at tardis.computer-science.edinburgh.ac.uk
Tue Jun 12 20:29:33 AEST 1990

Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions

Im interested in finding out how I can get a Sys V type machine to
include my cwd in my prompt...Currently, what it does is what was
suggested by the FAQ sheet that someone sent out a while ago, however,
I was wondering if there was a better way..

Namely, when I am in my home directory I want it to display a ~
instead of the path of my whole directory...secondly, I would like a
prompt which when I hit cd and return would send me $home and change
my prompt back to ~

Once upon a time in tcsh in BSD 4.3 I was able to use dirs in the prompt
command...whenever I do that here, it ALWAYS returns a ~, which doesn't
really help much...

And trying to just cd to get home gives me a no such file error...

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

avalon at exeter.ac.uk