How secure is UNIX?

Robert Barrell root at rdb1.UUCP
Wed Jun 13 21:36:41 AEST 1990

In article <8480 at crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, volpe at underdog.crd.ge.com (Christopher R Volpe) writes:
> Wait a minute. It sounds to me like Dan is claiming that with a 10
> (or 20) line C program, he was able to find an arbitrary password
> (with uppercase and numerals) via encryption....
> He says he didn't use /usr/dict/words or any sort of [word list] at all,
> which implies something along the lines of an exhaustive search.
> I find that highly unlikely, considering that the password encryption
> mechanism is an implementation of DES, which uses a 56 bit key.
> A brute force search of the keyspace is pretty unfeasable. Perhaps
> I misunderstood the claim.

     Instead of performing an exhaustive search on passwords, perhaps Dan is
doing something by running through all the possible 2-character salt values on
the encrypted password.  Even so, isn't crypt() supposed to "rotate" so many
times anyway to defeat such an attempted decryption?
     Also, what about the CBW (Crypt-Breaker's Workshop) programs?  I believe
they are only for entire files that have been encrypted, but don't know if they
are useful for passwords or not.

--
Robert Barrell      | ...!cbmvax!gvlv2!lock60!rdb1!root | Cody Computer Services
Milo's Meadow BBS   |        root at rdb1.canal.org        | 55 East High Street