Two files, same directory, same name...

Tom Betz tbetz at dasys1.uucp
Fri Jun 15 19:06:04 AEST 1990

Below is an excerpt of a listing of my $HOME/News directory.

total 206
-rw-r--r--  1 tbetz           0 Dec  3  1988 .comsignature
drwxr-xr-x 11 tbetz         176 Oct 18  1988 alt/
-rw-r--r--  1 tbetz       12756 Jun 14 06:49 applied.gw   <-----
-rw-r--r--  1 tbetz       64775 Jun 14 06:48 applied.gw   <-----
drwxr-xr-x  5 tbetz          80 Sep 24  1988 ca/

You will note that there are two files with identical names.

I can view them using 'more' and they are indeed two different
files.  I haven't done anything else with them yet (I'll 'cat'
them to another file if I can) but I can't figure out how this
can happen.

Ideas?

I swear that, other than shortening it, I have not modified this
listing in any way.
--

  MY CURRENT FAVORITE ADVERTISING LINES:     |Tom Betz
    "Look what they done to old Duke...      |ZCNY, Yonkers, NY 10701-2509