tar -r on a diskfile/tar arg too long

Ssi ssi at ziggy.EDU
Wed Jun 13 10:30:29 AEST 1990

In article <3448 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>I have always used "tar cvf TARFILE `cat long_list`" to do this.
>
>Well, to quote the very article to which you're following up:
>
>> note:
>>
>> tar -cvf /dev/rmt0 `cat long_list`
>>
>> Would give tar argument too long error.
>>There is also the -F option to specify the file:
>
>There is also the "-F" option on *some* systems.  It is *not* present in
>all versions of "tar".

 My Fine Manual (SunOS 3.x) says the F option will exclude SCCS
directories, FF will also exclude .o, errs, core and a.out files.

 Has this changed on SunOS 4.x, or in some other tar ???

For the record, my `long_list' is approx 100 lines of about 50 characters
each ( does'nt sound too long to me :-) ).

                    Greg Ripp (SSI) (813)628-6100 x5123
                        greg at system1.usfvax2.edu
                  ...!uunet!ateng!usfvax2!system1!greg