*nix - an abbreviation?

Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E mchinni at pica.army.mil
Sat Mar 10 08:44:49 AEST 1990

In article recently (8 Mar 90 13:25:13 GMT) Conor P. Cahill
<cpcahil at virtech.uucp> writes:
>In article <1344 at sys.uea.ac.uk> cmp8118 at sys.uea.ac.uk (D.S. Cartwright) writes:
>>other, similar systems. Therefore, using the standard UNIX wildcard *, the
>>term *NIX (or more accurately *IX to allow for those like AIX which don't fit
>>*NIX) is used to get across the concept of 'all (or most) UNIX-like systems'.
>I guess it will have to be *X to allow for hp/ux and a/ux.  :-}

So how do you handle "RTU" Concurrent's (formerly MassComp) Real-Time Unix

I don't think that anyone will ever find a SINGLE name like that (e.g. *NIX,
*IX, *X, etc.) that will work for ALL variations of UNIX by any company.

...Mike Chinni <mchinni at pica.army.mil>

                  Life is not a cabaret - it's a f*ing circus