Printer accounting and cutoff from UNIX: is it possible?

Alexander Verbraeck winfave at dutrun.UUCP
Mon Mar 5 11:10:42 AEST 1990

The *why* of disk quotas is clear now. Thanks to all who reacted. But,
back to the original question: is something LIKE quotas also possible
for the number of PRINTED PAGES? Is there a UNIX system out there where
users have a LIMITED number of pages to spend???

Students will ruin you if you give them an unlimited number of pages to
print on laser printers... All those christmas cards, sports results,
etc. Which university is able to tell each user of the system: you have
x kilobytes of disk space, y pages to print, and your account is
finished on day z. I asked at our university, without any result. At one
faculty someone monitors the printer account files once or twice a day,
manually, and compares the number of printed pages with the limits,
also manually. When the number of pages is surpassed, he mails the
offending users, and after one or two warnings, he deletes their entry
from the passwd file, manually.

Hey: we aren't living in the stone age anymore!! Doesn't anyone have a
PROGRAM for this?

Alexander Verbraeck                  e-mail: winfave at dutrun.tudelft.nl
Delft University of Technology               winfave at hdetud1.bitnet
Department of Information Systems            winfave at dutrun.uucp