Terminal servers (Was: Looking for a big Unix box)

Edward Vielmetti emv at math.lsa.umich.edu
Thu Mar 1 04:17:51 AEST 1990

In article <24573 at princeton.Princeton.EDU> tr at samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) writes:

   Neil Gorsuch talks about how using an ethernet-based terminal server
   can eat up your net bandwidth.  My understanding is that the
   packets for rlogin and telnet are so few and small that they are
   insignificant compared with NFS.  Am I wrong?

Neil Gorsuch is selling a product which competes with
ethernet-based terminal servers, and his opinions on
the subject should be considered in that light.

NFS will eat up your net well before telnet traffic.

--Ed