Programmers Prefer 8.5 x 11

Bob Fisher nts0302 at dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil
Tue Mar 27 01:08:47 AEST 1990

>From article <9485 at stiatl.UUCP>, by todd at stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman):
>> What's the best size paper to use in software documentation?
>> Before the advent of the PC, 8.5 x 11 was the most common size; but
>> now 6 x 8.5 seems to be the most popular.

Size is of minor importance.  My major concern is the BINDING !

I'll take spiral bound (acceptable) or loose leafe (better), but the
publishers can put the glued spine manuals where the sun doesn't shine.

A reference manual is extremely annoying to use if it tries to close
by itself when I lay it down.  If I break the spine to keep it open,
it will soon be just a bunch of loose pages with glue on one edge.

I realize that it is cheaper for the publishers to glue the edges of
a paperback book, but spiral binding shouldn't be much more expensive.
Spiral bound or looseleaf makes for more expensive packaging and shipping
if for no other reason than size and protection from crushing the
binding.  I'M WILLING TO PAY IT.

But there is a way for publishers to keep the price down.  When I
buy a "reference" book about an operating system or software package,
I don't want 50 pages of useless drivel about the history of the beast.
STICK TO THE SUBJECT.  There seems to be a trend now to see who can
write the thickest book.  Thick books mean more words which means more
money for the author.  Verbosity doesn't measure the worth of the book.

There are "reference" books that I would buy if they were half the
size and would stay open to the page I want.

How 'bout it, authors.  Publishers.

--
Bob Fisher
US Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center