*nix - an abbreviation?

D.S. Cartwright cmp8118 at sys.uea.ac.uk
Sat Mar 10 00:32:29 AEST 1990

cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>In article <1344 at sys.uea.ac.uk> cmp8118 at sys.uea.ac.uk (D.S. Cartwright) writes
                                                          ^ Me !!!!

>>other, similar systems. Therefore, using the standard UNIX wildcard *, the
>>term *NIX (or more accurately *IX to allow for those like AIX which don't fit
>>*NIX) is used to get across the concept of 'all (or most) UNIX-like systems'.

>I guess it will have to be *X to allow for hp/ux and a/ux.  :-}

	Now come on, chaps ... can someone out there please write something
looking like UNIX but not ending in 'X' (perhaps back to the old 'ICS' of
Multics ?? }:^)), so that we can finally refer to all UNIX-like systems as :

				*

	Dave C (again)
--
 Dave Cartwright,               | cmp8118 at uk.ac.uea.sys    <- Here