crontab update

Jesse W. Asher jessea at dynasys.UUCP
Thu Mar 1 00:39:35 AEST 1990

In article <855 at edstip.EDS.COM> ohrnb at edstip.EDS.COM (Erik Ohrnberger) writes:

>I have a question about the safest way to update the cron program's
>crontab file.  What I currently do is update the crontab file, and then
>rebot the system, to make sure that cron program reads the updated contab
>file.  Is all this required?  Does the cron program re-read the crontab
>file everytime that it wakes up?  Is there a special procedure to correctly
>update the crontab file?

The best way to have a crontab entry updated is to create the file,
su to the user that the entry will be assigned to, and run a command
called "crontab  <filename>".  For example:  If I want to run a
UUCP administrative program out of cron, I just create the entry
in a file called uucp.cron.  If I'm not already logged in as uucp
then I use su to do so.  I then type in "crontab uucp.cron".  The file
in /usr/spool/cron/crontabs in automatically updated and cron
immediately recognizes the new entry.

--
Jesse W. Asher - Dynasys - (901)382-1705
6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134