Looking for simple docuemtation extractor

Keith R. Fieldhouse krf at sol.ral.rpi.edu
Wed Mar 21 00:24:14 AEST 1990

Is there a generally available, simple, piece of software that will extract
specially formatted comments from source code (mostly C but others
would be nice) and produce printable documentation.  What I have in mind
is something like the following:

/*
** .FUNCTION	get-stuff()
** .PURPOSE
**		Does really nifty things really fast and you can
**		dance to it.
** .PARAMETERS
**		a, integer that tells function what to do
**		b, character that tells function what not to do
** .RETURN
**		OK or ERROR
*/

int get-stuff(a,b)
	int a;
	char b;

Which would produce something like

<FF>
Function:
	get-stuff

	Does really nifty things really fast
        and you can dance to it.

Parameters:

	a -- an integer that tells function what to do

etc.

It doesn't have be very sophisticated, tangle/web/weave or info-tex are
really overkill for my purposes.  I'm just looking for something where
the small discipline of documenting important functions correctly
provides the large benefit of printable basic documentation.

Any pointer will be appreciated.

				- Keith
Keith R. Fieldhouse				krf at ral.rpi.edu
Center for Intelligent Robotic			(518) 276-6758
Systems for Space Exploration (CIRSSE)	        CII 8313
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute     Troy, New York   12180-3590