How to set TERM for Televideo?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sun Mar 25 09:37:46 AEST 1990

In article <251 at mavrick.UUCP> daisy at mavrick.UUCP (daisy basto) writes:
>After I logged on and set TERM=tvi950, the system still cannot run any
>screen-oriented programs such as vi.
>I can see the termcap entry for the Televideo in /etc/termcap. Is there
>something else that I need to do to make it understand the new TERM entry?

Yes, you need to affect the environment so that subprocess such as the
vi process you invoke will be able to get at the changed TERM variable.
In the Bourne shell, this means that besides setting
	TERM=tvi950
you also need to invoke
	export TERM
Also be aware that newer systems user the terminfo binary database
instead of /etc/termcap, and it is possible that "tvi950" has no entry
in the terminfo database.