Termcap question

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Mar 3 09:56:00 AEST 1990

In article <MEISSNER.90Mar2105523 at curley.osf.org> meissner at osf.org (Michael Meissner) writes:
-In article <12264 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
-| I'm curious as to the kind of terminal you have that requires a 0 byte
-| for some non-padding function.  I've never encountered this myself..
-DG terminals in DG mode (as opposed to ANSI mode) cursor positioning
-code is a \020 followed by the row and column in absolute binary.  If
-you wanted to go directly to the upper left hand corner of the screen,
-the terminal would want:
-	\020\000\000

That shouldn't cause problems in termcap, though, because this is one
of the supported tgoto() parameter modes.  One does have to omit an
explicit "ho" capability if that's the only way to achieve it, but
any termcap-using software ought to be smart enough to use "cm" to
accomplish an "ho" effect when the former is given but not the latter.