interprocess communication

Mehdi Bonyadi mehdi at venus.SanDiego.NCR.COM
Thu Mar 15 05:11:34 AEST 1990

Hi everybody,
   I wrote a program that deals with connectivity information of a logic
design.  I took the connectivity information from a CAD tools set output.
What I want to do is to see if it is possible to "kind of" integrate
the schematic capture part of the CAD tool into my  program.  I do not have
the sources for the CAD system, it is a commercial tool.  My program can find
some characteristics of the logic design. For some of its functions it needs
some input from the user, ie name of a part or name of a signal.  Currently,
the user must type these names in, but what I am thinking of doing is to
monitor the schematic capture process from outside, ie my program, and read
the input of the user and the response of the schematic capture program.
This way the user can just use the mouse and pick a signal on the schematic
and ask for the information on that signal from the schematic capture
program, the response would be few lines of text giving the info about the
signal.  This information goes to a tty subwindow of the schematic capture
frame.  And I want to read this text.

I was told that I can look at the /dev/kmem and monitor the clist of that
tty window and go from there.  I was wondering about some of the complications
that I am putting myself into if I go through this path.  For one not
everybody has read permission to /dev/kmem, or how do I find the clist for
this tty subwindow, or if I am violating copyright if I look at the /dev/kmem
and monitor the clist.

By the way if anyone had done such a thing before, I would appreciate if
I could take a look at the program.

I am open to any other suggestions that might be applicable to this problem.

   Mehdi Bonyadi,  NCR Corporation, E & M San Diego  - Mail Stop 4424
   16550 West Bernardo Drive
   San Diego, CA 92127
   (619) 485-2233 mehdi at venus.SanDiego.NCR.COM