signal problems on BSD

Ravindran Ramachandran rr at csuna.cs.uh.edu
Wed Mar 14 14:58:14 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar8.084830.9252 at athena.mit.edu> jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>In article <5913 at star.cs.vu.nl>, maart at cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) writes:
>> )doesn't happen in csh.  Therefore, the reason your process is not
>> )getting the signal is because the signal is never sent.
>>
>> ...because csh puts each job into its own process group and a the group of a
>> background job never equals the tty process group (by definition!).

I had a similar kind of a problem on a Pyramid running ATT Sys 5, having
csh as the base shell. I have a Bourne shell script that is started up
from my .login, which runs a clock at the top corner of my tty. When I
log out, however, the process remains active even though there is no
actual device to output to. I tried in the script to 'trap' the signals,
but they are not received on logout.

The suggestion to:
a) set setpgrp() is slightly a pain in a shell script.

b) modify /bin/login (?) is impossible for me.

Right now, in my .logout I do a ps, and use awk to get the pid so that
I can explicitly kill the process. However, I wish the script would
directly get the signal when I logout and expire!

For your eyes only (please destroy after reading),
  --Ravi-