crontab update

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Tue Mar 13 05:45:33 AEST 1990

(Was the "na" distribution on this stuck on automatically by some
excessively-helpful posting program, or did some poster along the line
genuinely think this was of interest only to North Americans?)

>It's by no means certain that "crontab -l" will actually cause cron's
>internal tables to change.  It could just as easily be dumping it's
>internal tables without reading the file...  Or, reading the file
>without updating it's tables.

The latter is *exactly* what it does, in all the versions I've seen in
S5; "cron" doesn't even know that you've *done* a "crontab -l", so it
has no effect whatsoever on "cron"s internal tables.

>The *only* documented and reliable ways of getting cron to recognize
>a new crontab is to use the crontab command.

What he said.  Don't try to get clever, you'll just outsmart
yourself....