RCS and multiple modules

ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 7 05:56:40 AEST 1990

I have been using RCS to keep track of changes to software involving a
large number of modules (30-40).  I am looking for suggestions on how
to organize the releases of the complete software configuration.

How do I treat the whole package as a single unit?

I'd like to give it a revision name( or number in the X.XX.XX format).
Also, I'd like use this name inside the code, as I can with keywords
like $Header$ for each individual module.

I know of "symbolic names", but they seem somewhat inflexible. From
what I understand, the symbolic names are associated to just the
revision number itself, but not to the level number, or branches.

Any comments on how to effectively use RCS (or other revision control
packages) would be appreciated.