Tape backups and Disk management

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Thu Mar 1 17:20:15 AEST 1990

In article <12217 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>>Now, the same problem exists under UNIX, but with
>>DOS systems I have my choice of 6 or 7 GOOD disk managers/defragmentors.
>>Under UNIX, there doesn't seem to be ANYTHING ...

>dump; mkfs; restore
>(or equivalent)

What is the SysV equivalent?  How do you do it to the root (possibly only)
filesystem.  Is it save to restore it back to a different disk drive (I'm
thinking about the '386 style /etc/partitions file here)?  Is there any
way to use dcopy without having a spare identical partition (i.e over
RFS or to tape, then back)?

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us