project source managment using sccs & make

Mark Runyan runyan at hpcuhc.HP.COM
Thu Mar 29 03:24:35 AEST 1990

>/ samc at ntpdvp1.UUCP (Sam Christie) /  5:59 pm  Mar 27, 1990 /
>	I am trying to administer a reasonably large ( ~2000 ) set of source
>files which will make up a single product.  We are using the SCCS
>tools and MAKE which are part of System V.3.2.  We have been able
>to force fit our system into these tools, but it is not pretty.

I fear you are experiencing what most people do when faced with an ad hoc
system.  Short of obtaining a complete environment, you're going to face
this horror for some time (A "complete" environment might be NSE from SUN
or DSEE from Apollo, or ADC from Aide-de-Camp or any of a number of other
products...)

Some articles that might help are:

 "Maintain Your Sanity and Source Code With SCCS", Susan Eisen, UNIXWORLD,
    10/87, p105-109

 "Paragraph Reform, A SCCS-like Utility, and ls -l and file", Dr. Rebecca
   Thomas, UNIXWORLD, 11/85, p81-85

or the entire Workshop Proceedings of the USENIX Software Management
 conference held in New Orleans, Louisiana on April 3-4, 1989.

You might want to share your difficulties in comp.soft-eng to start a string
on managing revision histories of files.

Mark Runyan