Bourne Shell (/bin/sh) counting?

Piercarlo Grandi pcg at odin.cs.aber.ac.uk
Wed Mar 21 22:04:14 AEST 1990

In article <15270 at bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:

   Despite all the neat Perl ways to do it, I consider the little
   'count' program an important tool for shell programmers.  You
   generally just say

	   for i in `count 1 100`

   or whatever.  Here it is again:

OK. Sorry to interrupt your regularly scheduled Perl one liners :-), but
I cannot resist a plug. In the 4.2BSd contribs, there was 'jot', that
along with 'rs' and 'lam' is one of the most useful tools I have seen.

'Jot' will generate sequences of numbers, characters, strings, etc...,
with given from, to, step values.

Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg
Penglais, Aberystwyth SY23 3BZ, UK | INET: pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk