Termcap question

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Sat Mar 3 02:55:23 AEST 1990

In article <12264 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:

| I'm curious as to the kind of terminal you have that requires a 0 byte
| for some non-padding function.  I've never encountered this myself..

DG terminals in DG mode (as opposed to ANSI mode) cursor positioning
code is a \020 followed by the row and column in absolute binary.  If
you wanted to go directly to the upper left hand corner of the screen,
the terminal would want:

	\020\000\000

Most of the earlier terminals did mask out the 8th bit, so \200 would
work.  Some of the newer terminals, when you enable 8-bit mode, don't
strip the 8th bit in reading binary.  Fortunately, any terminal with
8-bit mode also has ANSI support (which works better under UNIX
anyway, since in DG mode, the terminal wants ^Y to backspace, and not
^H).
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861
Open Software Foundation, 11 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA

Catproof is an oxymoron, Childproof is nearly so