Printer accounting and cutoff from UNIX: is it possible?

Chris Davies chris at vision.UUCP
Wed Mar 7 04:19:45 AEST 1990

In article <1159 at dutrun.UUCP> winfave at dutrun.UUCP (A.Verbraeck) writes:
>back to the original question: is something LIKE quotas also possible
>for the number of PRINTED PAGES? Is there a UNIX system out there where
>users have a LIMITED number of pages to spend???

>Hey: we aren't living in the stone age anymore!! Doesn't anyone have a
>PROGRAM for this?

At the (UK) University I attended, this was indeed the case.  The Computer
Science dept had a setup whereby undergraduates had quotas for connect-time,
printer pages PER PRINTER, and of course, disk quota (both preferred and
enforced).  The printer-paper quota was quite generous for the ordinary
printers, but the laser printer was *very* restricted.  All quotas were
refreshed on a weekly basis.

This was on Ultrix a couple of years ago.  I don't know whether they still
have this setup or not.

For all of you who wonder why the Dept hasn't replied to this article thread:
it's simple: they are not on Usenet (but they are accesible via email).
However, I'm prepared to forward a message to their sysadmin (MAIL me), and
if s/he chooses, it can be taken from there (with email, not news).

			Chris
--
VISIONWARE LTD         | UK: chris at vision.uucp     JANET: chris%vision.uucp at ukc
57 Cardigan Lane       | US: chris at vware.mn.org    OTHER: chris at vision.co.uk