FTPD -- solved

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Thu Mar 22 06:56:03 AEST 1990

 >One person hypothesized that the reason the soft links might not work
 >was because ftp used chroot and that the links could not cross to
 >directories outside the local (ftp) sub-tree.  This is most likely
 >the reason.

That *is* the reason.

 >Someone else suggested using /usr/5bin/ls because it does not need
 >shared libraries.  For some reason, this program seemed to use the
 >shared libraries when I tried it out, so I couldn't get it to work.

The reason it uses the shared libraries is that, like almost all SunOS
programs, it was built to use them.  I've no idea where the person got
the idea that "/usr/5bin/ls" didn't use the shared libraries; that might
possibly have been true in 4.0, but if so it was fixed in 4.0.3.