Programmers Prefer 8.5 x 11

Joe Morris jcmorris at mwunix.mitre.org
Sat Mar 24 07:18:48 AEST 1990

In article <9485 at stiatl.UUCP> todd at stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) writes:
>> What's the best size paper to use in software documentation?
>> Before the advent of the PC, 8.5 x 11 was the most common size; but
>> now 6 x 8.5 seems to be the most popular.  Which do you prefer?
 [...]
>              Most technical people prefer 8.5 x 11, about 2:1, with
>a substantial additional number prefering A4 (the international
>standard, 210 x 297mm).

OK, how about a related question: should documentation be in loose-leaf
format or bound?  If bound, how?

My personal preference (regardless of the paper size) is for loose-leaf
format for any manual which I'm likely to need on a routine basis.  Two
reasons for this are:

* If I'm referring to it while I'm at the keyboard it is rather distracting
  to have the pages turn themselves.  If I put something on the pages to
  keep them flat then by definition some info I need will be under the
  "something".  The problem exists with either perfect-bound or stapled
  manuals; spiral-bound books aren't that bad.

* With loose-leaf binders I can add extra pages describing extra features,
  bugs, workarounds, etc just by punching holes into a piece of scrap
  paper.  With bound volumes this isn't practical: paper-clipped notes
  prevent the book from closing; loose paper falls out when I'm not
  looking, and I usually have too much material to write in the margins.
  Then, there are always extra pages I like to stuff in the pocket in
  the front cover of the binder...

I don't have any problem with binding of installation, setup, or other
introduction-type manuals, since I normally use them once and never
open them again.

Part of the reason for asking this question is that Microsoft has published
the documentation for Word for Windows in the form of a hardback book.
Also, the Excel functions and macros documentation is now a perfect-bound
where it used to be in loose-leaf format.  I don't like them.

How sayeth the jury?  Do you prefer loose-leaf, perfect/staple bound,
or hardback for documentation?