Serial I/O in SCO Unix

Richard John Botting rbottin at atl.calstate.edu
Fri Mar 23 14:26:28 AEST 1990

>What if the device connected by the serial port is
>not a terminal, can I still use the tty device driver as serial-port driver?
Well - At this moment I am using a SCO Xenix tty port to send
these characters to an AT&T machine thru an X.25 network and lots of
other non-ttys. We have also attached a serial printer to another tty
and told Xenix to use it as a 'lp' - thats in the manual, I think - But
the 'lp' software does handle the ctrl/S-Q synchronization properly
and the buffer overflows.  We have even can attach the UPS alarm output
to a tty if we want to.

As a rule in UNIX, if data flows at all then you can pretend its a tty.
Also there exists software/libraries for programming the tty interface
within UNIX/Xenix - start with stty in the manuals...
Dick Botting
Disclaimer: I'm often wrong.
calstate san bernardino computer science dept. california.