Intro to sockets?

Scot Mcintosh psm at manta.NOSC.MIL
Sun Mar 18 05:42:01 AEST 1990

In article <13640002 at hpcmfs.CORP.HP.COM> quan at hpcmfs.CORP.HP.COM (Suu Quan hplshq ) writes:
>>/ hpcmfs:comp.unix.questions / quinn at diku.dk (Sebastian Hammer) /  6:24 am  Mar 14, 1990 /
>>   Is there some sort of description of/introduction to the socket-concept
>>available (either on a file somewhere, or on paper)??
>>quinn at freja.diku.dk (The Novice)
>>----------
>Me too.
>Sebastian,

I just picked up a new book, "UNIX Network Programming" by W. Richard
Stevens, Prentice-Hall. It contains very detailed information on
sockets, down to the level of explaining what each of the options
does (which I've not seen elsewhere).  If you want to descend to
even greater depths, take a look at "The Design and Implementation
of the 4.3BSD UNIX Operating System" by Samuel J. Leffler, et al,
Addison-Wesley.  It talks about what goes on internally in the
system to handle sockets.

--
----
Scot McIntosh
Internet: psm at helios.nosc.mil
UUCP:     {ihnp4,akgua,decvax,decwest,ucbvax}!sdscvax!nosc!psm