kermit vs. uugetty

Kevin D. Quitt kdq at demott.COM
Fri Mar 16 03:06:33 AEST 1990

    My thanks to the following for providing help.  The solution to the
kermit vs. uugetty problem was two-fold: kermit has to put the lock
file in /usr/spool/locks (and therefore must run setuid to uucp), and
the contents of the lock file must be the pid in %10d\n format.  This is
done automatically if ATT3BX is defined, so I added that definition to
my system's definition line in the makefile.

    Of course, a lot is left to be desired in kermit's handling of the
lock file, like checking for staleness, and making sure that shelled
commands are setuid not to uucp, but rather to the user.  My version is
4C(68), so maybe that all has been fixed.

    Thank you:

	Jay A. Konigsberg
	Larry Jones
	Glenn Theobald
	Steve Ward
	Jim Shaw
	Richard Ohnemus
	Philip A. Gross
	Robert Halloran

kdq
--

Kevin D. Quitt                          Manager, Software Development
DeMott Electronics Co.                  VOICE (818) 988-4975

  "Next time, Jack, write a God-damned memo!" - Jack Ryan - Hunt for Red Oct.