ksh(1) bug?

Jon S. Stumpf stumpf at gtenmc.UUCP
Thu Mar 29 02:24:31 AEST 1990

By mistake I typed a pipeline with a missing command similar to the following:

	ls | > tmp

Obviously, I am missing a command after the pipe (eg. sort).  Looking at the
grammar on page 310-311 in "The Korn Shell" by Bolsky and Korn, I believe that
a "command" cannot reduce into nothing.  This would indicate to me that I
should receive some kind of syntax error.  Instead, tmp is created and has
zero length.

I am running /bin/ksh, Version 11/16/88b.  Is this an error or am I reading
the grammar wrong?

--
 jss - Jon S. Stumpf