password file check program

Jim Hudgens hudgens at fsu.scri.fsu.edu
Sun Mar 11 11:05:48 AEST 1990

I am looking for sources for a program similar to Sun's pwck
(/usr/etc/pwck) which locates problems in a system's passwd file
(such as duplicate id's, long-names, no passwords, non-existant
login directories and non-existant shells, etc., etc.).  It should not
be too hard to write, but if someone has one they would share
I would certainly appreciate it.

Note that I am **NOT** looking for a program to break passwords; but instead
one to check the *integrity* of the passwd file.  A non-trivial difference.
Sun's pwck is an great program in this respect.

Jim Hudgens
hudgens at fsu.scri.fsu.edu