Termcap question

Vos G P gpvos at cs.vu.nl
Thu Mar 1 03:21:30 AEST 1990

martin at mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) writes:
>You may be able to get them 'in' using octal escape sequences,
>but many applications don't get them 'out' to the terminal device,
>because it's a common technique to strip the 8th bit on output.

I knew most of this already from the man pages, but thought there would be a
workaround for it. However, i have made a few tests, and discovered that on
our system _no_ bits are stripped, so the workaround is not necessary.

This introduces another problem, though. Now i can't get a \0 in my strings!
Can someone help me with that? As no high bits are stripped, \200 gives me
a neat \200, instead of the \0 the man pages say.