How safe is rlogin protocol ?

Jan Derriks jand at maestro.htsa.aha.nl
Fri Mar 9 21:04:11 AEST 1990

>                        What About Those People
>       Who Continue to Ask Stupid or Frequently Asked Questions

I suppose I'll be one of those now:
  A student was so smart as to make a .rhosts file in uucppublic and thus
  being able to work under uid=uucp.
  Fixing this, my collegue said it's always possible to 'break in' a users
  account by talking the right protocol to rlogind (if a .rhosts exists).
  Just say your 'billy' and start a remote shell as user 'billy'.
Is it so easy ? How is the rlogin protocol protected against this ?

>Just send them a polite mail message, possibly referring them to this document.
>There is no need to flame them on the net - it's busy enough as it is.

Thanx.
--
Jan Derriks                  |       AHA-TMF (H.T.S. 'Amsterdam'),
jand at maestro.htsa.aha.nl     |       Europaboulevard 23,