How do I find out my Ethernet address?

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.umd.edu
Sat May 5 14:35:29 AEST 1990

In article <1606 at dinl.mmc.UUCP> noren at dinl.uucp (Charles Noren) writes:
>... how do I find out what my Ethernet address is?

Others have followed up with various answers, but no one has pointed
out one basic problem with the idea: there is nothing that says that
a machine *has* `an' Ethernet address.  In particular, the Sun 3/50
I am typing on at the moment has an (1) Internet address and no (0)
Ethernet addresses.  There are other Suns at the University of Maryland
that have two Ethernet addresses.  In the general case, you cannot talk
about `the' Ethernet address of any particular machine without first
deciding that the machine has exactly one Ethernet address (this does
not imply `one Ethernet interface': all Xerox D-machines have a single
Ethernet address, regardless of the number of Ethernet interfaces).
Domain:	chris at cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris