stupid unix questions

Sean Fagan seanf at sco.COM
Thu May 3 07:12:05 AEST 1990

In article <5111 at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> doug at jhuvms.bitnet (Douglas W. O'Neal) writes:
>Forgot one. Most of the times I have seen ed used, it has been interactive
>(usually to make a quick change to a file).  Would Mr. Ullman like this
>capability taken away to make it more pure?

ed's sole claim to being interactive is its error "message" ('?').

Any program which accepts commands (or data) from stdin, and can produce
output on stdout, fits very nicely into unix.  It can be interactive, since,
unless specified, stdin and stdout are your terminal, or it can be used in a
pipe.  vi, in all incarnations I've seen, cannot be used in a pipe (emacs
might be able to, but I don't think so).

I'd also like to point out that the only times *I* use ed, generally, are to
do some batch editing of a file.