how to make fifos keep data?

Mathias Koerber koerberm at nixsin.UUCP
Thu May 31 18:39:57 AEST 1990

Hello netlanders,

I have a somewhat urgent problem on my hands, so could you please help me?

I need to know if there is a possibilty to make named pipes (fifos) on
Unix SysV keep their data, even when the reading process dies or the machine
crashes. What I think of is someting like buffering on disk. I observed that
the writing process may as well,die, no data is lost. But even if there is
more data available, a crash of the reading process deleted all the data that
has already been written to the pipe. I have to use the pipes to transfer data
from a unix-device-handler into PROGRESS 4GL/RDBMS online so that the database
can be updated immediately. I cannot do anything on the reading side, but
the writing side might be able to set some parameters etc.

If anyone knows how to accomplish this, please let me know, I would be very
grateful.

My configuration:	Nixdorf Targon /31 M15	TOS4.0.11

Thx,	Mathias
--
Mathias Koerber           |Tel:   +65 / 7473828 ext 1852|Fax: +65 / 7474331
Nixdorf Computer Singapore|EUnet: koerber.sin at nixpbe    |nerv:  koerber.sin