Historical question: LF vs. CR\LF in text files

Tom Rombouts tomr at ashtate
Wed May 30 06:09:23 AEST 1990

Forgive the bandwidth, but seeing that others beside myself are
having occassional problems relating to the differences between
UNIX vs. DOS (and CP/M, correct?) in handling end of lines, I am
wondering how this started.  Since UNIX came first, I am going to
guess that at some time, somewhere someone said "Hey - let's add
a carriage return!"  Does anyone know the (possibly amusing?) story
behind this?  What was the essential rationale?

Tom Rombouts, Torrance Techie  Voice: (213) 538-7108