Books/Info on UNIX Network Questions

Dipto Chakravarty dipto at umbc3.UMBC.EDU
Thu May 3 03:46:30 AEST 1990

In article <525 at telxon.UUCP> bobd at telxon.UUCP (Bob Drotleff) writes:

>	Hi,
>		Can someone give me information on a good book(s)
>		for understanding/using/implementing communications
>		between UNIX systems and other systems whether they be
>		UNIX or otherwise.

Computer Networking (?) by Andrew Tanenbaum    -

	if you are looking for theoritical stuff like routing-tables,
	packet transmission, etc.

Internetworking with TCP/IP  by Douglas Comer  -

	good for conceptual understanding of TCP/IP and related protocols
	with light duty material on NFS and YP. ( A good text called UNIX
	networking by Kochan is also available, for light reading. )

UNIX Networking by Stevens    -

	this takes you to code level details of RPC implementation and
	socket usage. i have found this newly published text exceedingly
	informative and helpful for the hands-on stuff, which is what i
	am primarily involved with.

For UUCP and 'cu' like stuff I have found the ref. manuals more helpful
than the texts published on UNIX communications, etc.

Hope this helps.

-Dipto Chakravarty
.