Why partition disks?

Ralph Finch rfinch at caldwr.water.ca.gov
Thu May 31 07:50:55 AEST 1990

We are about to receive two 1.2GB SCSI drives (Wren 7s) :-) :-) .
These will be used mainly for data storage with some space for home
directories and public domain stuff.  We are wondering how to
partition these things when they get here.  Actually we would like 1
partition per disk if it won't hurt anything.

1)  Does partitioning affect performance (capacity and speed)?

2)  Does partitioning affect fragmentation?  Does one have to worry
    about fragmentation with Unix, or SCSI, or ?

--
Ralph Finch			916-445-0088
rfinch at water.ca.gov		...ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch