stupid unix commands

Dan Smith "Happy Birthday James Brown G.O.S." daniel at island.uu.net
Fri May 4 07:30:45 AEST 1990

In article <1990May2.170711.16545 at athena.mit.edu> jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

>|> 	yes "" | cat -n | head -20 | tail -10
>
>  Perhaps you should consider using the right tool for the job.... What
>you do here in 4 processes and a whole bunch of context switching, I can

	Yea, I know, I know, and perl is *god* too!  I appreciate that
(and do use perl).  I'm just showing an example that is likely to work
on Unix systems everywhere.  Someone else's posting of "yes | rm -i foo*"
was amusing :-)

	I'll toss out a slightly different subject:  what was the
most obfuscated line you've ever put in a shell (any type) script?

				Daniel
--
   dansmith at well.sf.ca.us   daniel at island.uu.net   unicom!daniel at pacbell.com
ph: (415) 332 3278 (h), 491 1000 (w) disclaimer: Island's coffee was laced :-)