merging 2 files

Jim Harkins jharkins at sagpd1.UUCP
Fri May 4 06:41:10 AEST 1990

I need to change a lot of words with mixed upper and lower case letters into
words of all lower case letters, from there I'm going to make a sed script
to actually modify the words in our source.  So how do I make my list?
For example, I want to convert the list

FooBar
blaTZ
GRMblE
WhEe

into

FooBar	foobar
blaTZ	blatz
GRMblE	grmble
WhEe	whee

(from this second list it's trivial to create lines of sed commands like
'/FooBar/foobar/g', and there are around 800 words in my list)

Right now I have 2 files, one with the upper/lower case names, the second
with just lower case names.  I think I've been going down the wrong path
here though.  I'm now thinking of using sed directly but I'm no sed wizard.
Join may also do the job but I'm having trouble deciphering the man page
and none of my experiments to date have remotely resembled what I'm after.

So, has anyone got any advice (outside of having a flunky use vi :-)?
Thanks in advance.

--
jim		jharkins at sagpd1

My new investment plan GUARENTEES a 50% rate of return!  Just mail me $10,000
and I promise you'll get $5,000 back.