stupid unix commands

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Thu May 3 03:07:11 AEST 1990

In article <1574 at island.uu.net>, daniel at island.uu.net (Dan Smith "fast
screens,
loud music, slow car") writes:
|> 	I've found "yes" does have a use for generating a list of numbers
|> in a shell script, a la:
|>
|> 	yes "" | cat -n | head -20 | tail -10

  Perhaps you should consider using the right tool for the job.... What
you do here in 4 processes and a whole bunch of context switching, I can
do in one:

	jot 10 11

Jot is available as part of BSD, although it doesn't appear to be among
the freely redistributable sources on uunet (which is strange, because
the copyrights at the top of the sources say that it was written by a
UCB person; oh, well, perhaps the CSRG people just haven't gotten around
to checking it for proprietary code and changing the copyright at the
top to the new Berkeley "freely redistributable" copyright).

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik at Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710