How do I find out my Ethernet address?

Ed McGuire emcguire at cadfx.ccad.uiowa.edu
Fri May 4 09:40:01 AEST 1990

>From article <2561 at syma.sussex.ac.uk>, by andy at syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews):
> From article <1606 at dinl.mmc.UUCP>, by noren at dinl.uucp (Charles Noren):
> : On a Sun 3 (SunOS 4.0.3), how do I find out what my
> : Ethernet address is?  One answer is rebooting, but how
> : do you find out without rebooting?
> : Is there a command executable from sh(1)?
>
> You could try           grep `hostname` /etc/hosts

That will give you the Internet address, not the Ethernet address.
What I do know is that `arp -a' will give you the Ethernet addresses of
remote nodes.  That is, you can get the Ethernet address of system `foo'
by signing in on system `bar' and typing `ping foo;arp -a'.
---
peace.  -- Ed
"So, when `thirtysomething' was over, she turned off the TV, collected
her thoughts and called 350,000 of her closest friends."