Backups using compress

Bill Campbell bill at camco.Celestial.COM
Fri Nov 30 19:42:07 AEST 1990

In <1990Nov28.005522.7258 at mrspoc.Transact.COM> itkin at mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) writes:

:dpence at redstone-emh2.army.mil ( Dwayne Pence) writes:

:>Does anyone know of a way to compress files before sending them through
:>cpio or tar to tape without actually creating a ".Z" file on disk.  I am
:>trying to create backup tapes which are compressed versions of our files
:>on disk.  Any help would be appreciated.

:CTAR from Microlite (Pennsylvania, I think - I'm home and don't have the
:info here) does compression as it writes the tape, and does it in memory.
:It's a pretty slick product, and I recommend it highly.
:--
: +----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
: :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
: :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
: :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin at guinan.Transact.COM    :

Microlite's e-mail address is uunet!mlite!tom (Tom Podnar).  I
don't believe CTAR compresses in memory, but uses the standard
compress program.  If you are using a seekable device for your
backup medium (floppy, Bernoulli Box...) it compresses directly
on the backup media.  If you are using tape, it makes a
compressed backup in a temporary directory, then copies that file
to the tape.

CTAR includes routines to properly manage backups, both full and
incremental, and has a good menu system for those who can't type.

Bill.
INTERNET:  bill at Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way
             uunet!camco!bill   Mercer Island, WA 98040; (206) 947-5591