Rich $alz is still alive ??!!!??!! (Was: Re: What should a new UUCP protocol do?)

wolf paul wnp at iiasa.ac.at
Mon Nov 26 19:18:57 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov24.163906.19793 at chinet.chi.il.us> laird at chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) writes:
>In article <964 at iiasa.UUCP> wnp%iiasa at relay.eu.net (wolf paul) writes:
>>In article <2992 at litchi.bbn.com> rsalz at bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>
>>>Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz at uunet.uu.net.
>>>Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.
>>                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>So what difference does a domain-based
>>address make?
>>
>I bet that it means that the aforementioned Mr. Salz is to busy to sort
>out getting a bounced message home, and that he trusts his Internet host
>to get it to its proper place.  You lose out when he tries to respond
>only to find that you'd mailed him down a one-way street.

Well now, that I understood anyway. My point was: since there has been
nothing appearing on c.s.u in a couple of months, despite the many
announcements by folks who have sent Mr. Salz submissions, we all seem
to lose out anyway as long as that is the state of affairs of c.s.u.
'Coz I can't imagine that all those submitters used non-domain
addresses or black!hole!paths, yet nothing gets posted anyway.

I know of at least one individual (doug at letni.lonestar.org) who
offered to relieve Mr. Salz if the latter was too busy to continue. I
understand that this offer was not even dignified by a response from
Mr. Salz, yet things have not improved.

So we all lose out, regardless of address style :-).
--
W.N.Paul, Int. Institute f. Applied Systems Analysis, A-2361 Laxenburg--Austria
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465            INTERNET: wnp%iiasa at relay.eu.net
FAX:   +43-2236-71313                UUCP:     uunet!iiasa!wnp
HOME:  +43-2236-618514               BITNET:   tuvie!iiasa!wnp at awiuni01.BITNET