remote finger to multiple clients

Jim Armstrong armstron at cs.arizona.edu
Sat Nov 17 04:24:54 AEST 1990

Is there a simple way to do a remote finger to see if
a user is logged on to any of group of client machines?

For example, I know that user joe has accounts on a group
of workstations client1, client2,...clientn for which the file
server machine is called server.  If I do finger joe at server
it tells me only when he last logged into the server machine,
which, in many cases, might be never.

I could do n separate fingers, i.e. finger joe at client1, finger
joe at client2,...finger joe at clientn, but this can be tedious if
there are many different clients joe can log on to.  What if
I don't know how many clients there are?  Or worse, what if
I don't know the names of all the clients (some sites like to
put numbers in the names of clients, others pick random names)?

Is there an easier way?

--
Jim Armstrong			  "The nonpayment and subsequent abuse of
armstron at cs.arizona.edu		  socially powerless athletes is simply a