Rich $alz is still alive ??!!!??!!

M.R.Murphy mrm at sceard.Sceard.COM
Thu Nov 29 04:09:48 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov28.020040.5518 at looking.on.ca> brad at looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
[...]
>Source and binary group moderating is probably one of the toughest jobs.
>The postings are large and complex and take time to look at.  You have to
>deal with duplicates and similar programs, the risk of virus and a pile of
>other stuff.
>
>When it comes to source and binary moderating, it may be the case that you
>start to get what you pay for.  The people doing it should get some
>compensation.  I know Rich is against this, but sometimes I think it may be
>the only way.   If there are 30,000 readers for a source group, then a
>pittance of few dollars/year would hire a good moderator.  I doubt it will
>happen, though.

Another way (not the only way :-) is to handle moderation of source and binary
groups in the same way that refereed journals handle a similar problem. Have the
moderator farm out the submissions to a group of interested folk. Balance the
load, share the work, don't put the entire burden on one overworked individual.
Put the burden on many overworked individuals. Pay 'em or don't, but don't
overload them. Add an X-Reviewed-By: header. Or just let things go along as
they are, occasionally greasing the squeeking wheel.
--
Mike Murphy  mrm at Sceard.COM  ucsd!sceard!mrm  +1 619 598 5874